Auto Tow Protection
What is Auto Tow Protection (ATP)?
Auto Tow Protection (ATP) is insurance that provides renters with coverage for damage to their personal automobile while it is being towed by the rental truck using a car carrier or tow dolly also rented from Budget.
ATP provides coverage for loss of or damage to the renter’s personal automobile resulting from:
- Fire or explosion
- Windstorm or hail
- Upset or overturn of the rental truck or towing equipment
- Collision of the rental truck or towing equipment with another vehicle or object
ATP provides coverage for loss of or damage to the renter’s personal automobile on an actual cash value basis up to $15,000. There is a $250 deductible per loss.
What exclusions apply to ATP?
Benefits will not pay for “loss” or damage caused by the following:
- Any obligation the “Insured Renter” assumes under any agreement (other than the deductible obligation under their personal automobile insurance policy)
- Any collision that occurs while the Insured Renter is in violation of the rental agreement including, but not limited to, driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol, or reckless driving
- Losses incurred by an unauthorized driver
- Losses to a rental exceeding 15 consecutive days
- Losses occurring during loading and unloading
- Losses resulting from the commission of an assault or felony
- Losses while participating in a race, speed or insurance contest
- Wear and tear; freezing; mechanical or electrical breakdown, except when same is the direct result of peril insured against
- Non-accidental damages which result from intentional acts of the Insured or “Insured Renter”, including, but not limited to breaking windows, tampering with locks, or operating over tire spikes
- Theft, “robbery”, mysterious disappearance
- Nuclear Hazard (a) Any weapon employing atomic fission or fusion; or (b) Nuclear reaction or radiation, or radioactive contamination from any other cause
- War and military action
(a) War, including undeclared or civil war
(b) Warlike action by a military force including action in hindering or defending against actual or expected attack, by any government, sovereign, or other authority using military personnel or other agents, or
(c) Insurrection, rebellion, usurped power of action taken by governmental authority in hindering or defending against any of these or
- Strikes, riots, lockouts, labor disturbances, civil commotion, or the acts of any person or persons, taking part in such occurrence or disorder
- Use of the rented Vehicle for business or commercial purposes
- “Loss” or damage occurring subsequent to a Vehicle being obtained under a fictitious name, address, other false identification, or other fraudulent means or misrepresentation
- Neglect of the “Insured Renter” for not taking all reasonable means to save and preserve the private passenger automobile after any “loss” or damage insured against
- In the event of a loss, the renter must do all that is possible to preserve any right of recovery available. If payment is made under this coverage, the insurance company retains the right of recovery. ATP is only available to non-commercial customers and does not cover theft of towed vehicle along with certain other exclusions.