« Return to Moving Guide
Self-Mover’s Check List
As soon as you know you are moving:
- Save receipts for all moving expenses. In some circumstances, expenses may be tax deductible.
- Book your Budget Truck reservation as soon as you know your closing or move out dates.
- If you are driving a truck and have an additional car without a driver, reserve towing equipment with your Budget Truck. If your vehicle is not compatible with towing equipment, contact a vehicle transport company to make arrangements.
- Make lists of all important information regarding your move. Organization is key because the next few months/weeks will be hectic.
- If necessary, get copies of your medical/dental records and/or your pet’s veterinary records. Once you identify your new doctors, arrange to have documents transferred.
- As you pack, keep a list of all valuable items. Make sure to hand carry the list with you on moving day to confirm that all valuables arrived safely.
- Notify all utilities (gas, electric, LP, oil, phone, cable, alarm company, garbage, water, sewer) for termination of service at current location and return any rented equipment.
- Notify all utilities for connection of service at new location.
- If children are of school age, contact schools regarding enrollment.
- Notify post office of change of address, and turn in any post office box keys. If you do not yet have a permanent address in your new location, ask the post office in that city to hold your mail.
- Notify credit cards, magazine subscriptions, newspapers, banks, insurance companies and employers of change of address.
- Notify your homeowner’s insurance provider to secure coverage for your new property.
- Obtain a certificate of occupancy, if your town requires one, before you move.
- Notify service providers (lawn services, house cleaners, pool cleaners) of your move.
- Gather documentation, keys, and anything that you are providing the new homeowners.
- Return library books and pick up any items you might have out for repair or cleaning.
- If your present or new location has parking limitations, make special arrangements with local law enforcement if a permit is required.
- If you are moving in/out of an apartment building, special permission may be required to use elevators, loading docks, or building access.
- Make sure your possessions are insured during the move. Contact your homeowner’s insurance policy or purchase supplementary insurance.
One week before moving day:
- For overnight moves, make hotel reservations along your route.
- If using a bank that is not near your new location, close accounts and empty safe deposit boxes.
- If your move is long distance and you are being accompanied by another vehicle, make sure that vehicle is prepared and serviced to make the trip.
- Confirm reservation with Budget Truck rental dealer.
- Checked routes and maps to new location, Watch out for road restrictions and low bridges when driving your rental truck. If going to an unfamiliar location, reserve a Garmin GPS navigation unit from Budget Truck.
- Pick up travel money to pay for incidental expenses during the move.
- Make sure you pack essential items (clothing, medicines, mobile device chargers, food, alarm clock and anything else you need until you can unpack) in an easy-to-locate box clearly marked “First Night.”
After your move:
- Notify friends and family of your new address information.
« Return to Moving Guide