Supplemental Liability Insurance
What is Supplemental Liability Insurance (SLI)?
Budget now has Supplemental Liability Insurance (SLI) available at participating U.S. locations. SLI is an optional plan offered by Budget when you rent a Budget truck. It’s an “Excess Vehicle Liability Insurance Policy” that provides additional liability insurance, within specified limits, above the limits provided in the Budget Rental Agreement. SLI insures you, and authorized operators as defined in Budget Rental Agreement, against claims made by third parties against you, the customer, for bodily injury/death and property damage caused by the use or operation of a Budget truck as permitted in the Budget Rental Agreement. SLI is a separate insurance policy issued to Budget by ACE American Insurance Company. It is made available to you as the customer when renting a Budget vehicle if you elect to accept SLI for an additional daily charge as shown on the Budget Rental Agreement.
What are the coverage limits provided by SLI?
The SLI coverage limits equal the difference between the SLI maximum $1,000,000 combined single limit per occurrence and the liability protection limits under the Budget Rental Agreement.
When and where does SLI coverage apply?
You and authorized operators are covered while driving your Budget truck within the continental United States. Coverage does not apply in Mexico or Canada.
Whether, at what point and to what extent, your own policies apply can only be determined by checking the terms of your policies themselves as these terms frequently vary. However, the protection afforded by SLI (if SLI is accepted), like the Budget Rental Agreement limits of protection, is primary to your own policies. This means that before your own policies would apply to pay a claim, the $1,000,000 protection afforded by the combination of SLI and the Budget Rental Agreement limits would have to be exhausted.
What exclusions apply to SLI?
All exclusions, terms and conditions are stated in the policy; it is important that you read the policy carefully.
The following highlights some of the exclusions that would preclude coverage:
- If you or an authorized operator use, or permit the use of, your Budget truck in a manner that violates the Budget Rental Agreement.
- If you obtain your Budget truck by fraud or misrepresentation.
- To the extent permitted by law, to personal injury or property damage to the customer, or authorized operators, or any member of your family or the driver’s family
- “Uninsured Motorist”/”Underinsured Motorist” are not provided by the policy except in states where mandated by law up to a maximum amount of $100,000 or in such other amount as mandated by state law.
- “No Fault” and other supplemental or optional coverage are not provided by the policy.
- Punitive or exemplary damages.
Are there any special restrictions on the purchase of SLI?
In Florida, SLI may not be purchased where the Budget Rental Agreement is for more than 30 days. If the Budget Rental Agreement is extended beyond 30 days, the coverage may be extended for one time only, for a period not to exceed 30 days. In New York, SLI may not be purchased where the rental period exceeds 30 consecutive days.