Budget News Releases
DO-IT-YOURSELF MOVING SEASON IS ALMOST HERE:
BUDGET TRUCK RENTAL OFFERS HELPFUL TIPS TO ‘MAKE THE BETTER MOVE’
Summer is peak season for home moving, so plan ahead!
PARSIPPANY, N.J., June 13, 2011 — Warm weather marks the start of peak moving season. Are you planning to relocate, or move belongings to and from storage? Let Budget Truck Rental help make your move more efficient, less stressful and safer with simple guidelines.
“Self-moving is extremely cost-effective when compared to full-service movers, and allows you to control how your belongings are handled, packed and moved,” said Joe Ferraro, senior vice president of local market for Avis Budget Group, parent company of Budget Truck Rental. “These simple moving tips, along with our conveniently located facilities, knowledgeable staff and full selection of moving supplies, make Budget Truck Rental the smart choice.”
- Plan your truck needs ahead of time: Before you reserve a truck, decide what size truck you need. A Budget Truck Rental representative can help you estimate what size is best, based on how many cubic feet your common household items require. Did you know that that truck availability is best mid-week (Sunday through Thursday) and mid-month? Also, don’t forget to include moving equipment with your truck rental. Hand trucks and moving pads help make your move easier and protect your possessions. Budget Truck Rental locations have these available for rent.
- Plan your travel route: Did you know that trucks are prohibited on some roads? Be sure to plan the proper route ahead of time to avoid police citations for driving on roads where trucks are prohibited or getting stuck beneath an overpass. Budget Truck Rental is the first and only major consumer truck rental company to offer Global Positioning System (GPS) units that include routes designated for trucks. With guidance by Garmin®, where2 offers Budget Truck Rental customers an array of navigation features, including truck routes and local points of interest such as ATMs, hotels, restaurants and gas stations, a simple user interface, high-quality maps, audible turn-by-turn directions spoken in multiple languages and Bluetooth hands-free calling capability.
- Pack like a pro: Never pack dishes flat; instead pack dishes and breakables loosely with lots of cushioning material like bubble and stretch wrap. Label them “fragile” and stack these boxes on top. Mark boxes by room and general content so you know exactly where everything goes. Label them on the sides, not the tops, which may be covered by other boxes. For these tips and more, check out the Moving Guide available at www.budgettruck.com. In addition, Budget Truck Rental offers a wide variety of products to make moving easier. These include furniture pads and dollies, boxes, tape, plastic cushioning wrap and rope. For more information, visit www.budgettruck.com.
- Load the truck appropriately: Measure door openings for large items so you know how you will move them out. You may have to remove doors or disassemble items to get the proper clearance. Load heavy items, like appliances, onto the truck first and load them into the front of the truck (behind the cab). If you have long items that will not fit standing up or across the width of truck, load them along the length of the truck before the truck becomes too full. For these tips and others, take a look at the Moving Guide available at www.budgettruck.com.
- Drive safely: Take the time to adjust your mirrors. Be careful when backing up and never back up with towing equipment. Use extra caution on sharp turns. Trucks are longer and wider and need more turning area than cars. Always use the turn signal. Allow greater distance (at least five vehicle lengths) between the truck and the vehicle ahead of you. Watch for overhead clearances. Allow for at least 14 feet of overhead clearance. Beware of low canopies, overpasses, bridges, drive-through lanes, tree branches, parking garages and signs prohibiting truck traffic.
Budget Truck Rental’s fleet features cargo vans, 10-foot, 16-foot and 24-foot trucks with ramps or lift gates and is one of the cleanest and best-maintained rental truck fleets on the road. Every vehicle undergoes a 10-point quality inspection to ensure proper fluid levels, tire pressure and other necessary elements for a reliable, safe rental. All Budget trucks feature automatic transmissions and have free 24/7 emergency roadside assistance.
For more information or to make a reservation, visit www.budgettruck.com.
About Budget Truck Rental
Budget Truck Rental is one of the leading consumer truck rental companies in the United States, operating through a network of approximately 2,500 locations throughout the continental United States, serving both the consumer and light commercial sectors. Budget Rent A Car System Inc. operates both Budget Truck Rental and Budget Rent A Car and is a wholly owned subsidiary of Avis Budget Group, Inc. (NYSE: CAR). For further information, visit www.budgettruck.com.