Budget News Releases
BUDGET TRUCK RENTAL OFFERS TIPS TO MAKE MOVING EASIER DURING THE PEAK SUMMER MOVING SEASON
Most one-way truck renters will be attempting a ‘do-it-yourself’ move for the first time
PARSIPPANY, N.J., July 2, 2012 — Peak household moving season runs through Labor Day. If you’re planning to relocate this summer or move belongings to and from storage, let Budget Truck Rental help. Simply follow these guidelines to make your move more efficient, less stressful and safer.
“Summer is the ideal time to move both due to warm weather and kids being out of school, which is why it’s also the busiest season for one-way truck rentals,” said Michael J. White, senior vice president of local market, Avis Budget Group. “Most people will be attempting to make their move using a rental truck for the first time, so they need to know that it’s important to be organized, plan ahead and follow these helpful tips from Budget Truck Rental to ensure that the experience is as easy as possible.”
- Plan your truck needs ahead of time. A Budget Truck Rental representative can help you estimate what size is best, based on how many cubic feet your common household items require.
- Allow plenty of time for your move. A common mistake by first-time do-it-yourself movers is underestimating the amount of time it takes to pick up a rental truck, as well as the time required for proper packing, weather delays and traffic. Allocating sufficient time for each step in the process will help make your move stress-free.
- Mid-week is the best time to reserve your truck. During the peak summer moving season, some locations may be sold out of certain trucks on weekends. For the best selection and availability, reserve your truck mid-week (Sunday through Thursday) and mid-month.
- Don’t forget to include moving equipment with your truck rental. Hand trucks and moving pads help make your move easier and protect your possessions, and are available for rent from any Budget Truck Rental location.
- Need boxes? Tape? Budget’s got you covered. Budget Truck Rental offers a wide variety of boxes, tape, plastic cushioning wrap and rope to make moving easier.
- Plan your travel route. Did you know that trucks are prohibited on some roads? Be sure to plan the proper route ahead of time to avoid getting lost, receiving a police citation for driving on roads where trucks are prohibited or getting stuck beneath a low overpass.
- Get there faster with GPS. Budget Truck Rental is the first and only major consumer truck rental company to offer Global Positioning System (GPS) units that include routes designated for trucks. With guidance by Garmin®, where2 offers customers an array of navigation features, including truck routes and local points of interest such as ATMs, hotels, restaurants and gas stations, a simple user interface, high-quality maps, audible turn-by-turn directions spoken in multiple languages and Bluetooth hands-free calling capability.
- Know the right ways to load the truck. Measure door openings for large items so you know how you will move them out. You may have to remove doors or disassemble items to get the proper clearance. Load heavy items, like appliances, onto the truck first and load them into the front of the truck (behind the cab). If you have long items that will not fit standing up or across the width of truck, load them along the length of the truck before the truck becomes too full.
- Drive safely. Take the time to adjust your mirrors. Be careful when backing up and never back up with towing equipment. Use extra caution on sharp turns. Trucks are longer and wider and need more turning area than cars. Always use the turn signal. Allow greater distance (at least five vehicle lengths) between the truck and the vehicle ahead of you. Watch for overhead clearances. Allow for at least 14 feet of overhead clearance. Beware of low canopies, overpasses, bridges, drive-through lanes, tree branches, parking garages and signs prohibiting truck traffic.
- For other helpful moving tips, visit www.budgettruck.com.
“Moving can be an emotional experience as it is often a part of a change-of-life event, such as a married couple moving into a new home for the first time, or someone taking a new job in a new city. But moving doesn’t have to be a stressful experience,” said Mr. White. “With conveniently located facilities and knowledgeable staff ready to assist, Budget Truck Rental can help you navigate this important time in your life.”
Budget Truck Rental’s fleet features 10-foot, 16-foot and 24-foot trucks with ramps or lift- gates and is one of the cleanest and best-maintained rental truck fleets on the road. Every vehicle undergoes a 10-point quality inspection to ensure proper fluid levels, tire pressure and other necessary elements for a reliable, safe rental. All Budget trucks feature automatic transmissions and have free 24/7 emergency roadside assistance.
For more information or to make a reservation, visit www.budgettruck.com.
About Budget Truck Rental
Budget Truck Rental is a leading truck rental company in the United States, serving both the consumer and light commercial sectors. Budget Truck Rental operates through a network of approximately 2,100 corporate owned and dealer locations throughout the continental United States. Budget Truck Rental is a wholly owned subsidiary of Avis Budget Group, Inc. (NASDAQ: CAR). For further information, visit www.budgettruck.com.