Moving Away to College? Make it more fun and less stressful with Budget Truck’s College Moving Tips!
Tip #1 - Think about your new space.
Living in an on-campus dorm or in your own apartment? Most campus housing facilities offer furnished rooms with a bed, desk and chair. Remember, you might be moving to a space that is much smaller than what you're used to, so pack only what you really need.
Tip #2 - Make a strong first impression.
Heading to college for the first time? Contact the college housing office and ask for your roommates’ contact info in advance. This will help you coordinate who is bringing what so that you don’t end up with duplicate TVs and microwave ovens.
Tip #3 - Figure out how you will get there
Driving your own car? Or will Mom or Dad drive you? To make sure all your stuff fits, think about Budget Truck and our affordable, easy-to-drive cargo vans and 10-foot moving trucks. It’s the perfect way to transport your treasured belongings to college safely.
Tip #4 - Make a plan of attack
Staying in a dorm or in a college apartment with roommates? Space will be limited, so you need a master plan. Start with a detailed list to keep you organized and reduce stress. Here are some items you won’t want to forget:
Plug It In
- Alarm clock
- Cell phone and charger
- Desk lamp
- DVD or Blue Ray player
- Extension cords
- Laptop computer
- Surge protectors
- Hot plate
- Plastic plates
- Plastic utensils
- Small refrigerator
- Bed sheets
- Laundry basket
- Laundry bag
- Soap detergent
- Cleaning Supplies
Hit the Showers
- Flip flops
- Shower caddy
- Dry-erase board
- Photos of family/friends
- Posters and adhesive putty
- Trash can
Tip #5 - Pack like a pro
- Label every box with your name and box contents. (This will pay off when you’re searching for your favorite sweatshirt.)
- Pack small boxes with heavy items (books) and large boxes with lighter items (pillows).
- Rent a hand truck from Budget Truck so you can move boxes quickly and easily.
- Use bungee cords to tie down and secure boxes.
- Rent furniture pads from Budget Truck to keep everything safe and scratch-free.
Tip #6 - Don’t forget the details.
- If you’re renting a moving truck, call 24 hours before pickup to reconfirm your reservation and determine the rental location’s hours of operation.
- Don’t forget your tool kit so that you can easily set up your furniture.